Cheltenham optimistic of racing

Thu 24th Jan 2013, 07:45
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
(Healy Racing Photos)
Hopes of Cheltenham's big Festival Trials Day meeting defying the elements this weekend have risen despite another inch of snow falling on the track on Tuesday night.

No further significant snowfall is forecast ahead of the fixture and officials will work to clear the white stuff from the covers that have been protecting the surface before a planned inspection at 8am on Friday.

As an alternative option, the card could take place on Sunday should the course not be deemed fit to race on Saturday.

"We had a manageable amount of an inch of snow overnight," clerk of the course Simon Claisse told At The Races.

"The course remains unfrozen under the covers. We have severe frost forecast for Thursday night, but providing the forecast for rain on Friday night stays in place and there is no further threat of snow I am getting more and more optimistic about the Saturday card going ahead.

"The forecast is for it to stay dry until Friday afternoon when the rain band may be preceded by a little sleet or snow.

"I would anticipate if the forecast is right, come Friday morning after that last frost we will be able to give the go-ahead then.

"If the weather does turn against us we still have the Sunday option."

Things are not looking as rosy at Doncaster. Friday's meeting went by the board on Wednesday morning and Saturday's card, featuring the Sky Bet Chase, hinges on a 2pm inspection on Thursday.

Warrior seeks hurdles hat-trick

Bog Warrior has an opportunity to pick up another decent prize over the small obstacles when he faces just four rivals in the John Mulhern Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park today.