Sedgefield/Huntingdon On, Ayr check again

Thu 21st Feb 2013, 09:21
Donal Fahy rides at Huntingdon
Donal Fahy rides at Huntingdon
(Healy Racing Photos)
Racing will go ahead at Sedgefield and Huntingdon today as planned after fears of overnight frost failed to materialise.

A precautionary inspection had been planned for 8.30am at Sedgefield but officials at the Country Durham track were able to cancel that check.

Clerk of the course Phil Tuck said: "Temperatures didn't dip as low as forecast.

"It's not going to be the warmest of days, with a bit of a wind chill and we might catch an odd shower, but we're fine."

A precautionary inspection had also been scheduled for 8am at Huntingdon with the forecast of a cold night.

But clerk of the course Sulekha Varma said: "It's all fine, there's no frost and the sun is out.

"Temperatures dipped a bit (after daylight) but it's still above freezing.

Officials at Ayr will hold a further inspection of the track at 11.30am to determine whether racing can go ahead this afternoon.

It will be the third check, after conditions were assessed on Wednesday afternoon and again this morning.

Clerk of the course Emma Marley said: "We are going to have another look later in the morning.

"We can't make a decision at the moment, it was minus 1C and minus 2C overnight but we are forecast a nice dry sunny day, with the potential for 5C.

"That leads us to hope that with a start time for racing of 2.20 we will be able to go ahead."

« Latest News Earlier News »