Owen could let Ranga Tang loose in Goodwood Cup
Ranga Tang (white face)
© Healy Racing Photos
After a fine effort in defeat at Royal Ascot, Ranga Tang could evoke memories of staying great Big Orange if taking up his option of the Al Shaqab Goodwood Cup later this month.
The James Owen-trained son of Lope De Vega headed to the Queen’s Vase on the back of a win at Salisbury and almost caused a 40-1 shock when reeled in late by Joseph O’Brien’s highly regarded Limestone.
Connections are now keen to dip their toe into the deepest waters of the staying division on the Sussex Downs on July 28 and a race owners the Gredley family enjoyed success in both 2015 and 2016 with Michael Bell’s Gold Cup-winning Big Orange.
Owen said: “Ranga Tang will probably go to Goodwood for their big race. He’s a horse we think an awful lot of and I’m just glad he showed it at Ascot. He stays forever and will be a lovely horse for the future.
Related Stories
Seven of the best for Jim Crowley
Archivist bounces back with Golden Mile strike
‘Proper racing machine’ Diamond Necklace sparkles in Nassau Stakes
Enceladus impresses in Gordon – but Leger run not set in stone
Man’s Best Friend proves punters’ pal in Richmond
Enceladus could edge closer to Classic tilt with Goodwood victory
“I think on the back of his run at Ascot and with the allowance three-year-olds get, then if the ground is nice the Goodwood Cup looks ideal. Three-year-olds have a good record in the race and if he runs well there he could be a St Leger horse. We’ve huge hopes for him.”
Hunt Cup Hero Joins Goodwood Team
Ranga Tang may have fallen just short at the Royal meeting, but joining him in action at the Qatar Goodwood Festival could well be Owen’s Royal Hunt Cup hero Rogue Diplomat
The four-year-old, who was beaten a nose when searching a five-timer in the Lincoln earlier this season, has continued to thrive and while holding an entry for the Coral Golden Mile handicap at Goodwood, the Newmarket handler would have no qualms about stepping up in grade to take up his option of the HKJC World Pool Lennox Stakes on the opening day of the meeting.
“He’s got a lot of options but going to Goodwood is the main plan and he has a few entries there,” said Owen.
“We’ll see and he’s been busy enough and he’s one I think will improve in the autumn. So he’ll either go to Goodwood or we might just travel with him again. But he’s trained very well since Ascot and will be running before the end of the month hopefully.
“We wouldn’t be scared of going into Pattern company with him now and if he was to go to Goodwood, the Lennox Stakes would be one of the options we are looking at.
“Deciding where to go is a nice problem to have and this horse is not the finished article yet. I would be very disappointed if he couldn’t mix it in Pattern company.”

Glorious Goodwood Tips




