Welcome to our Cheltenham betting guide for pointers on how you can get through betting on the Cheltenham Festival 2022 without doing too much damage to your bank balance. Cheltenham is one of the greatest weeks of the year for horse racing enthusiasts and here you will find the best free bets along with advice on how to bet on the races at Cheltenham. Unearth the best odds and enjoy tips from our talented team of experts.
With 28 high class races spread over 4 days the action is very competitive and it takes more than luck to come out ahead at the end of the Festival.
Recommended Cheltenham Betting Sites and offers
It’s the most exciting time of the year for National Hunt racing fans and there is an array of betting promotions on offer. Below is a list of the best Cheltenham betting sites and their offers for new and existing customers looking to place bets on Cheltenham 2022. Explore our betting offers page for Cheltenham free bets and our daily specials for offers from leading bookmakers.
+ Free Bet If 2nd To SP Fav. *IRE/NI new customers only. Min stake €10. Min odds Evs. Free Bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. Free Bets expire in 7 days. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP address only. Payment method restrictions. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. 18+. T&C's Apply. **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund €20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don't qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify. T&Cs apply. Dunlewey. org
When you place your first bet of €10+. A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least €10 • Min odds 1/2 (1. 50) • Free Bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days • To withdraw bonus/related wins, wager the bonus amount 40 times within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Withdrawal restrictions, payment methods, country & Full T&C’s apply. Dunlewey. org
*New members. Sportsbook only. €5 min deposit & bet on sportsbook, placed & settled at 1. 5 min odds within 14 days of sign-up. Win part of E/W bets. 2 non-withdrawable €10 Free Bet Tokens: accept in 7 days, valid for 7 days from acceptance (ex. E/Ws & Multiples), stakes not returned. Click here for full rules and exclusions. Dunlewey. org
Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply. 18+ Dunlewey. org
Bet €10 Get €30 in Free Bets. 18+. Play Safe. New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. Dunlewey. org #ad
When you place a €10 bet on Sportsbook. Place a min €10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1. 5), get €30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards or Apple Pay will qualify. T&Cs apply. Dunlewey. org
Limited to one per person. If you’ve previously had a Paddy Power account, you will not qualify for the offer. Place your first bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is €20. Only deposits made using Cards or Paypal will qualify for this promotion. Dunlewey. org
New Customers Only. Max One €10 Free Bet. Qualifying Bets Must Be Placed At Odds Of 1/1 Or Greater. Paid As Bonus Token With Min 4/5 Odds Req. Skrill, Neteller & Paypal Not Eligible. T&C Apply. 18+. Dunlewey. org
New ROI customers only. Min Deposit: €5. Maximum Free Bet: €50. Overall odds: 1. 50 (1/2) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. Debit card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+ Dunlewey. org. Full Terms apply.
Bet €10 on Horse Racing Get €40 in Bonuses
New Customers only. PayPal excluded. Opt in and place a €10 qualifying bet at odds of 2. 00 or greater on Horse Racing within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive €30 in Horse Racing Free Bets, plus a €10 Gameshows Bonus. Wager Gameshows Bonus 40x to withdraw max winnings of €250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Customers Residents of Ireland Only. T&Cs Apply. 18+ | gamblingcare. ie | Please gamble responsibly
New customers only. Min bet €10 to receive €20 Free Bet (placed 10 days from registration). Min odds of 1. 6. Free Bet credited at qualifying bet settlement and placed within 10 days. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Dunlewey. org
New Players only, This offer is available once per household. New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2. 00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets not eligible. T&Cs Apply. Dunlewey. org
Use bonus code: PLAY50. New customers only. Min. deposit €15 (no Skrill/Neteller); Bonus amount is 50% of deposit up to €50; Offer can be claimed once per household; Wager the qualifying deposit and bonus amount 5x within 30 days to convert bonus winnings into real money; Wagers must be on min. odds of 4/5 (1. 80) on singles or combo bets with min odds. of 2/5 (1. 40) per selection to qualify; Max. stake contribution to wagering requirement is the value of your bonus. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Dunlewey. org
New customers online only. Place your first bet on racing pools for a minimum of €5 and win or lose you will receive €20 Tote Credit. €20 Tote Credit rewarded as €10 redeemable against racing bets only and €10 redeemable against UK and Irish placepot bets only. Tote Credit cannot be withdrawn, exchanged, or substituted and expires after 7 days. Qualifying bet is the first racing pool bet added to the bet-slip. Ten to Follow, virtual and football bets do not qualify. Totewin will be the qualifying bet when a Totewin and a Toteplace bet are struck at the same time. UK & ROI customers only. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. Dunlewey. org
€40 Money Back as Bonus If Your First racing Bet Loses + €10 Casino Bonus
18+ begambleaware. org. New customers only. Min deposit €10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1. 40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply.
New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min €5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x €5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. Dunlewey. org
Join Spreadex and bet €10 and get €30 Racing offer
Place a €10 fixed odds single bet at min. odds of 1/2 and get 2 X €10 free fixed odds bets + 2 X €5 Free winning favourites spread bets. T&Cs Apply. Spread bet losses can exceed deposit. 18+ Dunlewey. org
18+ New UK & ROI Customers only. Min deposit €5. Min first €5 bet at minimum odds 1/2 to qualify for 1x 20 free bet. Certain deposit methods and bet types excl. Free bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions + T&Cs apply. Dunlewey. org
Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide
Here we answer frequently asked questions about Cheltenham betting
How Do I bet on the Cheltenham Festival?
You can place a bet on the Cheltenham Festival 2022 on all online betting sites and many offer free bets.
Open a betting account with any of the betting sites listed above and you will be ready to go.
If you intend placing several different bets over the 4 days of the Cheltenham Festival put some money aside as a Cheltenham betting bank. This will allow you to keep track of your bets and ensure you only risk as much money as you can afford to lose.
Check out our betting section for more advice on how to place bets.
What are the most popular Cheltenham races to bet on?
Each day of the Cheltenham Festival there is one feature race in the middle of the card. These races are as follows:
- Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy on Tuesday 15 March
- Queen Mother Champion Chase on Wednesday 16 March
- Stayers’ Hurdle on Thursday 17 March
- Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase on Friday 18 March
Which are the best bookmakers for betting on Cheltenham Festival?
- All bookmakers welcome Cheltenham betting and the odds they offer are broadly similar.
- Some will offer enhanced odds or more favourable each-way betting terms on certain races to attract new customers while others will give concessions such as money back as a free bet if your horse falls or finishes second.
- Check out our bookmaker offers section
Below are links to individual bookmaker pages. Here you can find the best offers from leading operators. We have highlighted the best free bets and promotions for the Cheltenham Festival.
Cheltenham Bet Types
Customers should first examine all the markets available to them before making a bet. These are some of the markets that you can expect to bet on with the leading sportsbooks.
The most popular way to make a bet on the Festival this year will be to make a wager on a horse to win or an each-way selection. The win selection will require the horse to cross the line first to get the returns.
Meanwhile, the each-way option will see customers get returns should their selection finish in second, third or even fourth, depending on the race.
Customers looking for high Cheltenham betting returns will be interested in the Forecast and Tricast markets. However, this is one of the most difficult markets to wager on. Players must accurately predict the runners that will finish in first and second for the Forecast, or first, second and third for the Tricast. They must also finish in the correct order.
There are so many talented horses set to embark on the famous Cheltenham course this year. That could mean that the Betting W/O market could be a solid choice.
In this market, the outright favourite will be taken out of contention. That means that customers will be betting on the horse that wins without the market leader.
This could be a particularly popular market when it comes to the Supreme Novices‘ Hurdle and Champion Chase. Appreciate It and Chacun Pour Soi are the respective clear favourites in the Cheltenham betting.
Place betting is extremely popular for customers that are interested in making a bet on an outsider. For this bet to be a winner, the horse that you have bet on must finish in a place position but doesn‘t need to win the race.
In terms of the Place market, it doesn‘t matter if the selection finishes first, second or third, the returns will be the same.
Best Tips for Betting on Cheltenham
Cheltenham races are some of the most competitive races run each year. Generally big fields of horses with everyone trying their hardest to win. Because the racing is so competitive the best advice regarding Cheltenham betting is to be selective with your bets. Don’t bet in every race
One simple way to avoid the temptation of betting in every race is to do a Tote Placepot each day. This bet involves:
- The first six races each day.
- Finding a placed horse in each of the races and not necessarily the winner.
- The potential to win big for a small investment as the Placepot pools tend to exceed £1 million on each day of the Cheltenham Festival
It is also worth considering:
- Most bookmakers will offer enhanced odds or money back concessions on selected Cheltenham races so check which sites are offering something extra on any race you are intending to have a bet on.
- The enhancement may only apply to a portion of your stake but every little helps when trying to show a profit at the end of the week.
Cheltenham Festival FAQs
When does the Cheltenham Festival take place?
- The 2022 Cheltenham Festival runs for four days from Tuesday 15 March to Friday 18 March.
- The dates for the Festival change slightly each year but it always takes place during the middle of March and runs from Tuesday to Friday.
What is the Cheltenham Festival?
- The Cheltenham Festival is a horse race meeting that takes place each March at Cheltenham Racecourse, Gloucestershire, England.
- The event runs over four days and is the pinnacle of the National Hunt racing seasons in both Ireland and the UK.
Which is the biggest race at Cheltenham?
- A number of important National Hunt races are run at Cheltenham each year but the most prestigious is the Cheltenham Gold Cup, which takes place on the final day of the Cheltenham Festival in March each year.
- The Cheltenham Gold Cup is a steeplechase run over a distance of 3 miles, 2 furlongs and 70 yards.
Who are the best jockeys at Cheltenham?
- The retired Ruby Walsh is the most successful jockey of all time at the Cheltenham Festival with 58 wins.
- Ruby Walsh is 20 winners clear of his nearest rival Barry Geraghty, also retired, who rode 38 winners at the Festival during his career.
- Rachael Blackmore was the leading rider at the 2021 Festival with 6 wins over the four days of racing.
Who are the best trainers at Cheltenham?
- Willie Mullins is the most successful trainer at the Cheltenham Festival with 71 winners so far in his career.
- Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls are other current trainers towards the top of the all time list.
- Willie Mullins has been crowned Leading trainer at the Festival on eight separate occasions, including 2021 when he saddled six winners.
What’s the difference between the Old course and the New course at Cheltenham?
- The Old course and the New course at Cheltenham are two side by side strips of ground used throughout the year at Cheltenham.
- During the Cheltenham Festival the Old course is raced on for the first two days and the New course is used for the final two days. Both courses have the same finishing chute.
- The Chase track on the Old course is sharper than on the New course and tends to favour front runners or horses close to the pace.
- The Hurdle track on the New course has only two jumps in the final 6 furlongs of races which tends to make them more of a stamina test than the hurdle races on the Old course. Hold up horse can have an advantage over those ridden prominently.
Where to watch Cheltenham 2022?
- Cheltenham 2021 took place behind closed doors and without an audience but this year it is expected that there will be no restrictions on the number of spectators allowed to attend.
- If you cannot make it to Cheltenham you can watch the action live on TV or a streaming service. ITV will show six of the seven races live on each day of Cheltenham.
- If you are not in a position to watch ITV, most betting sites will also stream each race live. In order to view the races on a betting site you will either need to login to a funded account or place a small bet. Check your betting site to find out their terms and conditions regarding watching live streams.
- Racing TV will also broadcast all 28 races live but this channel requires a monthly subscription.