Warrant Holder just fails to give the King and Queen victory The King and Queen were out of luck at Royal Ascot in 2026 as their final runner of the week, Warrant Holder, had to settle for a gallant second in the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes on Friday. Trained by John and Thady Gosden, the four-year-old was part of a famous treble for the royal colours when a winner at York last month, the centrepiece of a three-timer that also included wins for exciting stablemates Portcullis and Point Of Law, the latter finishing fourth in the Queen’s Vase earlier this week. Warrant Holder was sent off 16-5 second-favourite for the mile-and-a-half handicap and when William Buick sent his mount on two furlongs from home the noise began to erupt from the grandstands in anticipation of a first royal victory of the week. However, up his inside came Opportunity in the hands of crack New Zealand pilot James McDonald and Buick was powerless aboard the runner-up as William Haggas’ runner crept the best part of two lengths clear at the finish. John Gosden said of Warrant Holder: “That was a super run and I’m really thrilled with him. “He did everything right and as you know being drawn 17 you do lose ground – you’re wide and then you’re three wide around Swinley Bottom, but he came with a lovely run. “Unfortunately for us, the horse drawn one, saving every inch, wriggled through and not only were we giving him 5lb, but he’s gone a lot shorter route. “Full marks to the winner, I know they fancied him a lot, and it was a long way back to the third. But I couldn’t be more pleased with our horse, he’s been brilliant.” Warrant Holder’s fine run to finish second means the King and Queen are still to add to the King George V Stakes win of Desert Hero in the King’s coronation year of 2023. Incidentally, Desert Hero was trained by Haggas, who after denying the King and Queen this time said: “Everyone here wants their majesties to have a winner and we’re sorry to ruin it, but we’re delighted to have a winner ourselves.”