Total prize-money worldwide in excess of four million euro, and Group 1 winners on three different continents. How do you follow a year like that? Well Dermot Weld has high hopes for the 2003 season, and international races will again be very much to the fore for this globe-trotting trainer.
The four-strong Eddie Joe's syndicate made a last-ditch bid at the Supreme Court in Dublin today to get the horse's 42-day imposed by the Irish Turf Club lifted. However, the judge decided to allow the suspension to stand pending a full hearing of the case.
The decision means the nine-year-old will not take his place in the line up at Aintree, and now looks likely to tackle either the Irish equivalent or the attheraces Gold Cup at Sandown later in April.
Mattie Lynch, one of the syndicate, said: 'We have had no joy so it's no Aintree for us this year.'It was a once in a lifetime shot but I suppose it would be worse and now we'd be looking at the Irish Grand National or maybe the attheraces Gold Cup.'
The long-running saga began when Davids Lad was hit with the ban after finishing last in the Paddy & Helen Cox Memorial Newlands Chase at Naas on February 23. The nine-year-old was suspended from running after the Naas stewards decided that the racecourse had been used as a training ground, ruling him out of Aintree. Jockey Timmy Murphy was banned for seven days and trainer Tony Martin fined 1,000 euros.
The horse's owners - brothers Eddie and Jimmy Moran, Nick Butterly and Lynch - took their case to court after their appeal against the suspension was turned down by the Turf Club's Appeals & Referrals Committee. According to the Turf Club's lawyers, the 42 days run from the day after the date of the A & RC decision - so Davids Lad cannot run before April 15.
The owners successfully made an ex-parte application to the High Court for a stay on the decision which was then challenged by the Turf Club, resulting in a two-day hearing at Dublin's High Court at which Justice Mella Carroll upheld the ban.
The syndicate must now decide whether to pursue a full hearing of the case but Denis Egan, chief executive o f the Turf Club, was delighted by today's ruling. He said: 'We are thrilled. Hopefully we will get the same result at the full hearing. It will be going to a full hearing at a date in the future.'
Two of the remaining hurdle races will be divided to make a six race card.
12.00AM
Walsh has decided not to prepare the 12-year-old for another crack at the Aintree showpiece following the Lafontaine gelding's poor performance over hurdles at Punchestown on Sunday. 'Because I couldn't be sure he would run his race at Aintree this year I've spoken to the owner Betty Moran and she's quite happy about the decision to retire the horse,' he said.
Walsh paid tribute to Papillon, who landed a massive gamble when winning the National in the hands of the trainer's son Ruby. Backed down from 33-1 on the morning of the race to 10-1 second favourite, he justified the overwhelming support by beating Mely Moss by a length-and-a-quarter. 'The horse has been absolutely brilliant for us. He's been a star for everyone associated with him,' he added.
After winning the National, Papillon returned 12 months later and after falling was remounted to be last of four finishers behind Red Marauder. He missed last year's renewal.
Papillon registered a total of nine victories in his career, amassing win prizemoney of 570,000 Euro.
Over 10,000 telephone calls were taken over the three days and everything
Latalomne, Vinnie Keane's mount, fell at the second-last fence, as did Seebald with Norman Williamson aboard, leaving the field clear for Moscow Flyer.
Native Upmanship gave his all up the run-in, but never looked likely to overhaul the winner.